Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tribute to Charles Demuth (My Egypt) - Byram 2004 (acrylic on canvas 16" X 20")


hmm.. this was one of my first ventures into acrylics from watercolors. The watercolor technique is clearly obvious. I have never seen "My Egypt" alive and would dearly love to. The images I have seen of the painting remind me of fine China plates. In this tribute I was more concerned with replicating the forms than the colors. This is a true representation of New Jersey for me. All the glory of man and his creations: the wonderful Greek-like columns on the warehouse; the highlights from the sun and the almost sinister edifices lurking in the background. I wanted to capture more of the reality of the industrial achievement than Demuth did. His glory is (I think) a fragile work- the solid structures built by a transient man in an unsteady world. My colors are bold and arresting, more grounded - to make up for my lack of craftsmanship and ability.


Cam did take me to see his No.5 at the Metropolitan Museum in NYC -a paining for his poet friend, William Carlos Williams. JUST FABULOUS!



I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox
and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast.
Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold.
--
William Carlos Williams




(YOU find the picture)

Among the rain

and lights

I saw the figure 5

in gold

on a red

fire truck

moving

tense

unheeded

to gong clangs

siren howls

and wheels rumbling

through the dark city





No comments: