Saturday, July 19, 2008

Poets of Destruction 2007 (acrylic and ink on board 4'X4')

Poets of Destruction came out of a fascination with graffiti.
The figure is an amalgamation of a number of graffiti images; the writings in gold and silver collections of poems, writings and lyrics chosen by the Cairns family.

The piece starts with Shelly's "Ozymandias" - I met a traveller from an antique land who said:.. and ends with Charles Bukowski's "Vegas" and this time I kept my mouth shut. And everything in between: Cam chose a piece from Nietzsche's "Thus spoke Zarathustra; Cullen, lyrics from Pink Floyd's "Shine on you crazy diamond"; Erin, Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky".

The figure is a gorgeous diseased loved being in umber, sienna and gold - studded with crystals. The crystals blink and dull as you move around the painting. Also my first venture into modelling paste. What a fun medium!

If I did this piece again, I would not use different colored pens (working with the metallic silver nearly killed me. ) I also developed the Bradley Hand font to lay the writing down, an immense task to change handwriting.

No comments: