Sunday, January 16, 2011

Prufrock - June 2010 - Grapevine - Acrylic on canvas (4'X3.5')


I started Prufrock in 2008 and just couldn't make headway with the image. I knew I wanted to express T.S Eliot's "Prufrock" part of "The love song of J. Alfred Prufrock" in paint. The beauty and the decadence, the naked gorgeousness of modern man.

I'm hoping this is the first of 3 - Alfred and J. to follow.






The layers of gel and modelling paste that form the bulk of the body were worked and worked to get as close I could to the feel of metal without loosing the organic nature of the decaying flesh.

He is fatter than he seems - corsetted in to meet the demands of a set taken with artificial beauty; fighting the bulges that age brings on.



Prufrock's shoe is purposely female - on the androgenous body. Single simple brushstrokes that I dreamt about and practised over and over before committing to the canvas.

No comments: